Top 5 Most Common Motorcycle Accidents
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), the federal government estimates that per mile traveled in 2013, the number of deaths on motorcycles was more than 26 times the number in cars. This is due in large part to head injuries, which is the leading cause of death in motorcycle crashes. This is why it’s so important to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle. Helmets are roughly 37 percent effective in preventing motorcycle deaths and about 67 percent effective in preventing brain injuries.
Helmets can help protect you in a motorcycle accident, but the best way to avoid a crash is to know these 5 common motorcycle accidents:
- Left-hand turns: This is the most dangerous situation for motorcyclists and accounts for 42 percent of all accidents involving motorcycles and cars.
- Head-on collisions: It may be surprising, but cars strike motorcycles from the front 78 percent of the time. Motorcyclists are rear-ended in only 5 percent of accidents. These collisions are often fatal for motorcyclists.
- Motorcycle lane splitting: This is when motorcyclists drive between two lanes of stopped or slowly moving cars, often in traffic.
- Speeding and alcohol use: Half of all motorcycle accidents are caused by speeding or alcohol use. This is true for car accidents, as well, but since motorcycles don’t provide much protection to the rider, these types of crashes are more likely to result in death or serious injury.
- Road hazards: Due to smaller size and less stability, road hazards such as potholes, dead animals, slick pavement, uneven roads, and other unexpected road conditions pose a serious threat to motorcyclists.
Motorcycle accidents often result in injury, bringing extensive medical bills and treatments to riders. This can then lead to lost wages, pain and suffering, emotional turmoil, and more. A serious motorcycle accident often has extraordinary consequences. Talk to a Phoenix personal injury attorney at the Knapp & Roberts law firm about what you need to do to recover your damages.
If you have a legal matter you wish to discuss with one of our attorneys at no charge, please contact us at 480-991-7677 or complete the Do I Have a Case form on our website and one of our personal injury attorneys in Phoenix or Scottsdale will contact you.
Let us tell your story
we care, and we can help. Contact us 480-991-7677 or fill out the form below
The personal injury attorneys in Phoenix, Arizona at Knapp & Roberts have the compassion and trial lawyer skills to tell your story to a jury. We will get to know you and your family so that we can help the jury understand what has happened to you and your family and how it has changed your lives. Obtain the compensation necessary for the injuries and losses you have suffered.